Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Almost a Whole Year Home!


This is a big week for Bella - she will get to celebrate Gotcha Day on the 12th and her Homecoming on the 14th. As the dates get closer, I'm finding I am more emotional about them than I thought I'd be. I was looking through last year's photos, and decided to take a photo today and do a side-by-side comparison. Just look at her! When she came home, her legs were tightly scissored, feet were twisted, and her arms were bent and tucked tightly against her body most of the time. She couldn't raise them above her head. Her hands were clenched in tight fists most of the time too, and although she LOVED being outside, the sunlight hurt her eyes (even in the shade) for weeks. You can see the pain in the grimace on her face - I remember that day. She badly wanted to be out doing what the other kids were doing and was fighting through it. It was sad. That's what happens when you spend every single day for years on end lying in the same bed - eating, sleeping, and going to the bathroom on the same mattress 12 inches away from your bed mate. You become so badly damaged that things like movement and sunshine cause pain. But God preserved her spirit, and now the rest of her is being restored to her fullest. She will never even remotely resemble most of us in terms of physical ability, but I am willing to bet most of us will never remotely resemble her in terms of joy and contentment . I am so proud of her.
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Precious! I love seeing her transformation. Thank you for blogging and sharing with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just found your blog last night and was so caught up in reading post after post that I went to bed at 2 am! Wow, what a beautiful story! I have a real heart for orphans and read a lot about adoption but had never heard of lay rooms before or seen a child radiate with such joy as Bella does, even in such a horrific situation. She is absolutely beautiful, as are all your children. May God bless your family greatly for all you have done to help bring her to health and a full life. I know God is using her to do great things in your family as well. I enjoyed the post by your husband too, it is good to hear from the adoptive Fathers' perspective. I will definitely be looking forward to following your future posts and watching Bella blossom in her new life. Happy Gotcha Day, Bella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a huge difference does love make. I'm amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks terrific! So much stronger and her color is wonderful. And I love to see that hair growing. :) Seeing her arms straight makes me think she might be able to hula someday. The story is in the hands and arms, right? Is it Christmas that there is a special hula at church? NowI'll have to go back and look it up. :) I hope you are enjoying the Advent season and your great weather. We had 8 inches of snow on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks amazing! Wow, she truly radiates health & happiness! This makes me so happy. Thanks for sharing her story. It is quite remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Such an amazing difference. I am so happy for Bella and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is such a joy to read your updates and see Bella's pictures. I cry tears of happiness and sweet relief. Such a warrior's spirit! Looking forward to seeing her further progress and beautiful smile, thank you for sharing your family.

    ReplyDelete